When should a puppy be wormed? Worms are common in puppies, so knowing how to treat them is vital. Puppies should be wormed at five, eight and twelve weeks old, and then at least every three months for the rest of their lives to ensure they don’t pick up worms.
How often do puppies need deworming? Puppies and Kittens need to be dewormed more often: It is recommended that your puppy or kitten is dewormed every 2 weeks until they reach 3 months of age. Puppies and kittens are usually born with parasites passed on from mom (even if mom is dewormed) before they are born.
How do I know if my puppy needs worming?
- visible worms or eggs in the faeces.
- visible worms in fur or around the dog’s rear.
- scratching or rubbing of rear.
- visible worms in vomit.
- bloated stomach or belly.
- weakness, increased appetite, constant hunger and weight loss.
- diarrhoea, particularly with blood.
Can I deworm my puppies myself? A. You need a veterinarian’s help in diagnosing not only if your dog does indeed have intestinal worms but also exactly what kind of parasites they are. Without that knowledge, it’s impossible to choose the correct medication to treat the pests.