What happens if my dog eats vitamin gummies? Chewable, sugar-free vitamins often contain xylitol, and can result in signs of low blood sugar and even liver failure. Vitamin D – when ingested in toxic amounts– can result in a very elevated calcium level in the body, resulting in secondary kidney failure.
Will a vitamin C gummy hurt my dog? It is not recommended to provide a daily vitamin C supplement to a dog, unless otherwise directed by a veterinarian. Because dogs naturally produce vitamin C, a supplement used long term can be detrimental to the natural production of the vitamin.
What happens if your dog eats a multivitamin? Vitamins That Are Toxic to Pets
Similarly, vitamin D supplements are fairly serious because too much vitamin D can increase levels of calcium and phosphorus, which can eventually lead to permanent problems with the heart and kidneys, among other organs, Murphy says.
How much xylitol is in a gummy vitamin? Most chewing gums and breath mints typically contain 0.22 – 1.0 grams of xylitol per piece of gum or per mint. Therefore, only one piece of gum may result in hypoglycemia in a 10 pound (4.5kg) dog.