How can you tell if dog has heart issues?
- Dry cough that follows physical activity or intensifies at night.
- Shortness of breath or elevated breathing.
- Restlessness when sleeping.
- Rapid weight loss (over just a few weeks)
- Fainting – which can look like a seizure.
- Potbelly caused by fluid build up.
- Rapid tiring or fatigue.
What are the early signs of heart failure in dogs?
- Difficulty breathing / shortness of breath.
- Inability to exercise.
- Persistent coughing.
- Pacing before bedtime and difficulty settling down.
- Lack of appetite.
- Swollen belly (due to fluid buildup)
What are the symptoms of the final stages of congestive heart failure in dogs?
- Difficult or rapid breathing.
- Difficulty exercising.
- Weakness or lethargy (tiredness)
- Fainting episodes.
- Gray or blue gums.
- Abdominal distention.
How long can older dogs live with heart disease? 6 However, once congestive heart failure develops, survival time is expected to be between 6 and 14 months.